Introducing Facebook

A short conversation where in you start explaining social networking concepts to an elderly person who has never heard of the same before.

“You open this page, login with your account and what you get to see in front of you here is called a wall! You can literally write on it.” (*Trembles with curiosity to explain*)

“Right here, you will find a profile page where you can tell people if you are married, committed or if you are into a complicated relation. Funny isn't it?” (*Admires Mark Zuckerberg with a naughty smile for the idea behind it*)

“You can express everything you feel as status updates. You can tell people how awesome you think you really are, by putting up stuff like the Don't-judge-me-by-what-you-know update or I-am-not-perfect-but-I-am-just-me update." (*thinking about how jealous people would be of you for your rockzzstar attitude.. uff..*)

“Likewise you can tell to people if you are sad and lonely. The best part is that they can even like and comment on it.” (*Deviating from the thought, pondering over the number of likes on the recently shared photo*)

“You know, these likes and comments actually convey a lot more than they what they actually are. They make you feel loved. They just make your day.” (*Questioning yourself, 'Why would people love me so much? 23 likes on the recent photo? That's just too much of love to digest.'*)

“You can indirectly convey messages to people on hitting a like on these wonderful Facebook pages. Suppose, I want my ex to know that I still love her, I'd simply like this Outside-I-am-smiling-but-inside-I-am-dying page so that only she would understand the encrypted meaning and nobody else would. Awesome, ain't it?” (*Like Sherlock Homes, takes pride in self for the wit behind the plot*)

“And you have these wonderful apps that would tell you about who-want-to-kill-you? Who-is-your-celebrity-girl-friend-of-the-day? And who has a secret crush on you? Guess what! My celebrity girl friend for the day is Angelina Jolie and I am SO thrilled” (*No more in control of the self. Peaks of joy. Experiencing emotional ecstasy*)

“The best is yet to arrive. There you see! Here you can create farms, happppily water them and comeback to check 'em out when they are all grown. It is just a wonderful feeling...It just feels like....like...”....

**A LONG PAUSE**

You begin to notice the weight of the weird long stare the elder gives you and finally realize that sanity is a long lost thing..


9 Responses so far.

  1. Aditya says:

    hahaha!! all yhe perfectly useful virtual social network world we live in becomes a mere example of insanity for our parents ;) quite a similar experience dor me too !

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.
  3. WHOA WHOA WHOA !!
    I "LOVED" it !!
    Especially, "*thinking about how jealous people would be of you for your rockzzstar attitude.. uff..*" :-D :-D :-D

    FB is a necessary evil for us! ;-)
    Superb da! :-)
    Very practical, realistic and a-w-e-s-o-m-e! ;-)
    (like you as well ;) )

  4. Srilekhya says:

    Hahahaha!! Superb idea you've got. Explaining this concept to elderly people :) Amazingly written sir!

  5. VeeKay says:

    @Aditya Haha. No wonder. Should be man! We are all sailing in the same boat :D

    @DM Lol that was just mock sarcasm DM :D It was not me. I am no rockzzstar, I am a layman :) Glad that you are still onto that a-w-e-s-o-m-e tag ;)

  6. VeeKay says:

    @Srilu Lol. Thanks a lot madame. :) Next time I might write about your dancing, so beware. Hehehe ;)

  7. Nethra says:

    I should try doing it too...I mean explaining to my gran what facebook is all about.

    By the way, I like your new template. It's good.

  8. Shane says:

    I really liked this VeeKay! Social networking on the internet, especially Facebook is such a foreign concept to so much of the world. Even my parents have an awkward relationship with Facebook and they're rather "hip" as far as parents go...

    I can't count the number of times I've tried to explain the concept of all the different social networking sites to my grandparents. The idea is completely lost on my paternal grandparents, but my maternal grandmother is trying her darndest to embrace it with every ounce of her being. She's managed, with the help of all her grandchildren, to make herself a Facebook account, although I don't think she has quite mastered all the different features. The idea of twitter is completely lost on her, for the time being...

Leave a Reply

<>